Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Today I have not felt more frustrated with myself.
A litany of failed attempts and veiled insecurities...along with a generous helping of gloom. Is this depression?

I am tempted to say, "I am being tested." I have been targeted because of what I have been doing for the Lord. Yet, is that the entire picture? Am I simply a noble martyr who suffers in silence?

A resounding NO. Would that I could glory in my suffering (in this case, publicize how awful life has been), and come across as a whining, sniveling child? Or will I rejoice in my suffering, knowing that the LORD has already claimed victory? I praise God for today, tomorrow, the rest of my life. Although I cannot control the events that happen, I can look to Jesus Christ for sustenance and life. Amidst the chaos, He gives me the peace and joy...that goes to hope overflowing through the strength and power of His Spirit.

Yet something I have begun to ponder is the question about why the cross is such a stumbling block for so many. Paul addresses it in his letter to the Corinthians, in 1 Corinthians 1:18
For the message of the cross is foolishness to us who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God

The cross? As foolishness? This requires a bit of thought. What is the "message of the cross"? How could the Jews, who wanted miracles, and the Gentiles, who wanted wisdom, throw this away?

No comments:

Post a Comment