Sunday, February 8, 2009

I realized just now that my latin is incorrect.

Apparently, it's Soli Deo Gloria. my internet sources lied to me.

Today, I felt so lethargic...like everything was going by in a blur. I yearn to spend time with the One who satisfies, the One who gives me the joy and life that I need!
Sometimes (like today) my heart sinks at the prospect of facing the enormous tasks set before me...and the many tasks start to burden and oppress me. Yet I just have to look to the sky-to the Lord above-or into my heart, where His name is written-and I am completely blown away.
My little credentials, my ambitions, my vices, my virtues-what is that in context to eternity? How can this compare to the Almighty, awesome God?
When I see the blessings that He has bestowed upon our fellowship, I am not just thankful-I'm blown-away-thankful. The reason that we love each other, the reason that we "hang out" is not necessarily just personal attraction; it's GOD! Out of His wisdom and love, He gave us the sweet fellowship and spiritual intimacy that we enjoy. My hope and my prayer is that our fellowship would not become stagnant, and begin to seek human relationships above divine ones!
Many times, my personal insecurity stems from this: rejecting the relationship with God as insufficient for my needs, and rather trying to plug this hole with others: other friends, other people. He is all I need. He must be all I need. For me to glorify Him, I need to love Him more than anything else: my friends, my family, even my future spouse.
Can I say that with certainty?
Certainly...not. Honestly, I am by nature quite insecure-especially when my attempts for friendship fail. Yet, in that weakness I cry out to my Abba, Father, who loves me and whose Presence time and again reassures me of this uncontainable, holy love.
I cannot understate how God has used others to encourage me, and me to encourage others. I know that with God's heart, I can see the pain and the sorrow, the loneliness and the wayward heart of those people around me. BUT what do I do? Do I go and try to ease the pain? Do I touch their lives to heal them?
My natural reaction is YES! They need it! I'll go right now!
But God says...NO. Wait on my timing. Listen to me. I will use you according to My will, so that you cannot claim even a modicum of glory.

Isaiah 64:1-9

1 Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down,
that the mountains would tremble before you!

2 As when fire sets twigs ablaze
and causes water to boil,
come down to make your name known to your enemies
and cause the nations to quake before you!

3 For when you did awesome things that we did not expect,
you came down, and the mountains trembled before you.

4 Since ancient times no one has heard,
no ear has perceived,
no eye has seen any God besides you,
who acts on behalf of those who wait for him.

5 You come to the help of those who gladly do right,
who remember your ways.
But when we continued to sin against them,
you were angry.
How then can we be saved?

6 All of us have become like one who is unclean,
and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags;
we all shrivel up like a leaf,
and like the wind our sins sweep us away.

7 No one calls on your name
or strives to lay hold of you;
for you have hidden your face from us
and made us waste away because of our sins.

8 Yet, O LORD, you are our Father.
We are the clay, you are the potter;
we are all the work of your hand.

9 Do not be angry beyond measure, O LORD;
do not remember our sins forever.
Oh, look upon us, we pray,
for we are all your people.

1 comment:

  1. amen, dennis.
    this was an awesome encouragement. =)

    ReplyDelete